Election Day &




A: The 2020 general election races are President, U.S. Senator, and U.S. Representative in District 1, District 2, District 3, District 4, and District 5. State races include odd-numbered districts in the Oklahoma Senate as well as seats in the Oklahoma House. Judicial Retention races are three Justices of the Supreme Court, two Judges of the Court of Criminal Appeals, and three Judges of the Court of Civil Appeals.

There are two state questions.

At the county level, races are for county clerks, county court clerks, sheriffs, and county commissioners.

Across the state, there are other various local races.

A: No. You can cast as many or as few votes as you like. If you only vote in one race or on one state question, that vote will still count.

A: By the end of September, individualized sample ballots are available on the State Election Board website, okvoter-portal.okelections.us. County election boards provide sample ballots, too.

A: If a candidate ran unopposed or faced only same-party opposition, he or she has been elected and will not appear on the November 3 ballot. In addition, only half of the Oklahoma Senate’s 48 seats are affected by this year’s elections.

A: All Oklahoma residents who are US citizens, at least 18 years old, legally competent, and not subject to a current felony sentence. A convicted felon is allowed to vote in Oklahoma after their original sentence is completed.

A: On Election Day, only in the precinct where you’re registered. For a list of precinct polling places and other voter information, visit the Oklahoma State Election Board website, okvoter-portal.okelections.us.

A: Generally speaking, yes. You may present valid photo identification issued by federal, state, or tribal authorities, such as a driver’s license or passport. If you do not have a photo ID, you can present your voter identification card. If you have no identification, you may cast a provisional ballot accompanied by a sworn affidavit.

A: Yes, but don’t show them to anyone at your polling place or while you are voting. Our “cheat sheet” on inside back cover of this Voter Guide.

A: Oklahoma employers must provide employees with up to two hours of paid time to vote when polls are open on Election Day or on a day on which in-person absentee voting is allowed by law, unless their shifts give them plenty of time to do so before or after work. If you work more than two hours from your voting place, your employer must allow sufficient time in which to cast your ballot. You must notify your employer of your intention to vote at least one day before the election.

A: You can make changes in your voter registration address or political affiliation within the same county online until Fri., Oct. 9. Voters who are already registered can change their address or party affiliation at: https://okvoterportal.okelections.us/. Name changes, changes of address to a new county, and new voter registrations must be submitted via paper forms, which can be filled out electronically at https://okvoterportal.okelections.us/Home/RegWizard. Once completed, the form must be printed, signed, and submitted per the online instructions.

A: If you will be away from the precinct where you’re registered, you might consider voting by absentee ballot or participating in early voting in the county where you’re registered.

A: Yes. Early voting occurs at your county election board from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Thurs., Oct. 29, and Fri., Oct. 30, and 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Sat., Oct. 31. Some counties have second early voting locations. Those can be found at: https://www.ok.gov/elections/Early_Voting.html.

A: Yes. You can request an absentee ballot before 5 p.m. Tuesday October 27. Requests can be submitted online at https://okvoterportal.okelections.us, downloaded from the state election board website, or obtained from your county election board.

A: Yes. You can mark a place at the top of the ballot to vote for all candidates on the ballot who belong to a single party.

A: The state will begin distributing absentee ballots on Friday, September 18. Completed ballots must be returned by mail to your county election board and received no later than 7 p.m. on Election Day, Nov. 3. The United States Postal Service recommends mailing your completed ballot at least one week prior to Nov. 3 to ensure delivery in time.

A: Yes, unless you are in the military, living overseas, physically incapacitated, providing care to an incapacitated person, or confined to a nursing home or veterans’ center. However, be-cause the governor extended the COVID-19 state of emergency, absentee voters have an alternate option for absentee voter verification. You can find information at https://www.ok.gov/elections/Voter_Info/Absentee_Voter_Verification.html.

A: You can change your party affiliation or register as an independent until Friday, October 9. Doing so will not affect your ballot choices on November 3, because the primary election season has passed.

A: Write-in candidates are not counted in Oklahoma elections.

A: The State Election Board website is a good place to start: elections.ok.gov. County election boards also provide election information. You should call the State Election Board at 405-521- 2391 or your county election board. These national hotlines also might be able to help:

1-888-VEY-VOTA (Spanish Language)
1-888-API-VOTE (Asian Languages)
Vote411.org also provides helpful information on candidates.


In Oklahoma, proof of identity is required for every voter who votes in person at their precinct polling place or during early voting.

Proof of identity is one of the following:
  • Any government-issued document that includes your name, your photograph, and an expiration date that falls after the date of the election in which you are voting.
  • Your free Voter Identification Card issued by your County Election Board.
  • Signing a sworn affidavit and voting by provisional ballot.
Are you a college student?
You can:
  • Register to vote using your permanent address or your college address.
  • Request an absentee ballot at https://okvoterportal.okelections.us/.
Are you a current member of the military or dependent of someone in the military?
You can:
  • Register to vote using your permanent address or your duty station.
  • Request an absentee ballot at www.fvap.gov/oklahoma.
  • Mark your ballot online, save it, and print it along with the materials needed for submission to your County Election Board. Marked ballots must be returned to your County Election Board by regular mail or by fax.
You must:
  • Submit military and overseas ballots so they arrive at your County Election Board by 7 p.m. on Election Day.
Are you a convicted felon?
You can:
  • Register to vote after you complete your incarceration, probation, and/or parole. Your right to vote is automatically
    restored; no action on your part is required.
  • Vote if you are convicted of a felony but are serving a deferred sentence.
  • Vote if you were convicted of a felony in another state as long as you follow the law as if you were convicted in an Oklahoma court.
Are you part of the address confidentiality program?
You can:
  • Vote and keep your address confidential.
  • Fill out the ACP voter registration packet and mail it to your county Election Board.
You must:
Vote absentee. Mail your absentee ballot to the ACP box. The attorney general’s office will forward your absentee ballot.
Ballots must be notarized and received by 7 p.m. on Election Day.
Do you have disabilities?
You can:
  • Vote at your polling place on Election Day or during early voting using an audio tactile interface (ATI) that enables you to listen to instructions for the ATI controllers, an audio version of the ballot, make selections on the ballot, review all selections and make changes if necessary, and cast your ballot privately and independently. Your ballot selections are recorded electronically in the device’s memory and included in the precinct results. Voter information is not tied to a specific ATI ballot.
  • Vote at your polling place with the assistance of precinct officials who are trained to offer assistance if you request it.
  • For “physically incapacitated” absentee ballot affidavits (pink stripe) or caretaker absentee ballot affidavits (pink stripe),
    the affidavit may be witnessed by two people OR the voter may submit a copy of a valid ID.
If you are voting by absentee ballot, you must:
  • Notarize your absentee ballot OR under the governor’s COVID-19 state of emergency, use the alternate option for
    absentee voter verification by submitting a copy of a valid ID.
Valid IDs include:
  • A photo ID issued by the U.S., the State of Oklahoma, or by a federally recognized Native American nation or tribe; the ID must have an expiration date after the election date.
  • A photo ID issued by the branch of the U.S. armed forces of which you are an active or retired member.
  • The free Voter Identification Card mailed to you by your County Election Board when you registered to vote. You may contact your County Election Board if you need a new Voter Identification Card.
Carefully follow the instructions on your absentee ballot.


is Friday, October 9. You can download a registration form from the State Election Board website or pick one up at your county election board, post offices, tag agencies, libraries, and other public locations. You will need to mail or deliver the completed form to your county election board.


You should call the State Election Board or
405-521-2391 or your county election board.
These national hotlines also might be able to help:

1-888-VEY-VOTA (Spanish Language)
1-888-API-VOTE (Asian Languages)